Friday, April 24, 2009

I sing, she sings

Since she was a wee babe, ive been singing a special song to her. "Jesus Loves Me" will never fail to calm her down when she's tired and cranky, and is most certainly the lullaby of choice at bedtime.

Even now, most nights as she is lying in bed smelling her beloved blankie, she will implore either of us to sing it. And if Daddy doesnt do a good job of singing, because he is in the midst of falling asleep himself, she will order me to redo it, properly.

And yes, Baby Bone has come to adopt it as his calming song too. Whenever he is irritable n restless, ill cradle and nurse him and sing this song, and he will stop fidgeting and slowly drift off to sleep.

Lately, Terelle is very taken by a particular song she heard on a childrens' cd. She keeps singing it over and over again, never seeming to get sick of it. It goes like this:

I picked the reddest apple from the tree
It was the finest one that I could see
I saved it all except a bite or two
Just for you

I carried home the groceries from the store
I wanted to be helpful with the chores
I put them all away except a few
Just for you

Someday ill be grownup too
And if i can ill grow up just like you

I ate up all my lunch just like you said
But i think there was a little too much bread
And so i left the crust when i was through
Just for you

Someday ill be grown up too
And if i can ill grow up just like you

Just one more thing before i go to bed
When everything i have to say is said
There's something special that i wanna do
Here's a kiss
Just for you

The first time she managed to memorise all the verses, she said,"Mummy, this song is for you." And some nights as we are lying in the dark, she will sing it to me, in her sweet little soprano voice.

I dont think she fully understands the emotional nuances of this song but i'd like to think she means every single word of it, and it warms my heart.

Baby, when im old and grey and my memory is failing me, sing this song again to mummy and let me remember how we used to sing each other to sleep ok?

1 comment:

Mummy Ghin said...

Oh, so touching! sob...

 

Made by Lena