Sunday, December 02, 2007

From only child to big sister...

My poor baby is trying to cope with the arrival of her new baby brother soon. She has been displaying bizzare behavior which sometimes leave us really frustrated and at our wits' end.

1) Attention seeking

And how does she do it? By being really naughty what else?

She spits out her milk while drinking halfway and laughs when we scold her.

She runs away and lies face down on the bed when it is time to brush her teeth.

She insists on calling the maid by name instead of "aunty" and smacks her when she tries to pick her up.

She refuses to go to bed, insisting on watching cartoon after cartoon.

She is simply defiant and refuses to obey our orders and will deliberately turn on the waterworks when she doesnt get her way.

And she used to be my sweet and obedient little girl....boohoo....

2) Nightmares

She woke up crying a couple of nights ago and saying "Mummy dont want me anymore!" That really broke my heart...and it is not as though i havent been trying to reassure her that i will still love her v v much even with the arrival of the new baby.

3) Behaviour in school

Her teachers tell me that she used to be very chatty and outspoken in class but recently she has become quiet and withdrawn. Sometimes she will be very affectionate with them too, as if she needs their reassurance that at least they will still be there for her.

She has been toilet trained since she was 2 yrs old, but lately she has been wetting and even soiling herself in school. Her teachers reassure me that this is normal and that she will get past this phase soon after she gets used to the baby. But her forlorn and guilty look as she clutches her soiled clothes yet again when i pick her up from school makes my heart go out to her and wish i could do something to help ease her through this trying period.

I get upset when i see her like this, perhaps the arrival of her sibling is really a huge emotional obstacle that she is finding hard to deal with right now. I want to see my little girl happy and bubbly and normal in school again...


4) Being clingy and needy

I havent been carrying her at all since around the 4th or 5th month of this pregnancy and recently i just carried her for a short while from the dining table to her bed. She clung on to me for dear life and said "Mummy dun let me go okie? I want Mummy to carry me like last time." To which i had to reply "Mummy cant carry you now because Mummy's tummy will be painful. Just be patient, in a short while Mummy's tummy will become flat then Mummy can carry u everyday just like before ok?" And my perceptive daughter could actually say "okie then Daddy will carry Baby Bone and Mummy carry me all right?"

Heartwrenching.....arrrrgh....let's hope things will soon go back to the way they were

No comments:

 

Made by Lena